Saturday, January 19, 2013

Update: 1/19/13

Sorry that I haven't posted an update lately. I took a little time away to process my thoughts & let everything sink in. I was debating on sharing my HSG results with everyone, but have decided to do so.

As many of you know, I had a hysterosalpingogram (HSG test) on Thursday. The HSG test is designed to assist fertility doctors in locating any blockages in the fallopian tubes and ovaries. I was extremely nervous about getting this test done because my fertility doctor had already mentioned concerns about why I had not experienced any pregnancies yet. He was also very concerned that my reproductive organs may have been damaged during my initial laparoscopy.

I really did not want to hear bad news, and was doing my best to remain positive.
I was able to get the results while laying on the table. Before I was even allowed to sit up, the doctor asked if I had any trauma or surgeries on my right ovaries. I knew something was very wrong when he asked me this. I told him that I had the laparoscopy and he did not seem to pleased.

He showed me the x-ray pictures, and it was like a cartoon flip book. I saw the catheter in my uterus before the dye was inserted, and then saw the dye spreading through my organs. The dye filled my left fallopian tube and ovary with no problem. However, my right side did not allow any dye to pass.

(Photo Credit: Island Reproductive Services)

 Nothing. Not even a single drop. 

I can't really describe the feeling of seeing that. It felt like I had just been kicked in the gut. 

Dr. Patel, one of my Fertility doctors told me that I will need to have to have another HSG next month. If there are no changes to my right organs, he told me that "We will have to have a serious talk." I didn't ask him what he meant by that because I was very upset and was trying not to cry. I imagine that it means my laparoscopy will be even sooner than springtime.

The test is not the most pleasant experience either. I have e-mailed my other fertility doctor, Dr. Amols, to see if I will have to have another HSG. I am hoping that I can get out of a second test if Dr. Amols can obtain my laparoscopy results. 

I know that you are probably still thinking that I still have my left-side, and you are right. However, my right ovary actually has more eggs than my left ovary.

So far, I will be waiting impatiently until next month when I will find out if my right fallopian tube and ovary are completely blocked. It is going to be a long month.

Have you experienced a less than normal HSG test? Have you experienced any damage to your organs as a result to a laparoscopy? How do you cope? 

xo Heather 

2 comments:

  1. I have everything crossed for you lovely, the things we have to go through are sometimes very heart-breaking I am so sorry to hear this, but I hope the left will be strong enough to get there for you x x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. I've just been having a read of your blog. I only have one working ovary as well. I also have immune issues and high FSH - just to make it so much worse! But I wanted to say to you, where there is a will there is a way. Its a terrible old cliche, but you really only do need one egg. I only ever have a few eggs but I was lucky that one stuck (after 3 rounds of IVF mind you!) and I now have a baby boy. Infertility does suck majorly but dont ever give up hope. Sending you love and luck Jo xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...